Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My hubby asked - is it time for soup yet?

And I said - WELL, with this fabulous October weather we have been having - it hasn't felt like soup weather.  However, he has not felt well for a month now so figured maybe I best make him some soup and see if that helps his recovery along.  Will he go to the doctor?  I think we all know the answer to this is no.  I asked him, WHY he would not go to the doctor and he said, "Well, it's not like I am dying."  Ok then.  I just have a hard time having sympathy for his discomfort when I have been asking him to go to the doctor for a few weeks now.  I am not certain what his fear of doctors is but apparently there is something underlying here.  SO despite the 75 degree temps outside in Minnesota, in October mind you, I did make said spouse some soup.  Here is the recipe:

CHICKEN WILD RICE SOUP
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
1 c. onion, chopped fine
1 c. celery, chopped fine
4 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped fine
carrots, chopped, as desired
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper to taste
1/3 c. butter
3/4 c. flour
3 c. cooked wild rice
2 cans low-sodium chicken broth
2 cans water
1 pint Fat-Free Half & Half

Place chicken and vegetables in a stock pot with the butter.  Season with salt and pepper and add bay leaf.  Simmer for about 15 minutes.  Stirring occasionally.  Stir in the flour.  Quickly add the broth and water.  Stir in the cooked wild rice.  Simmer for an hour or more, until potatoes/carrots are tender.  Stir in the half & half, heat through.  Serve! 

No comments:

Post a Comment