Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Spread the warmth, please . . .

My mom happens to be in Florida visiting with my Aunt and Uncle - she called me just a bit ago to report that it was 85 degrees there and she went to the beach for "just an hour" so she wouldn't get fried by the sun.  Okay, I am jealous, I am aware of that, as she was talking with me on the phone, it was 2 degrees here and the snowplow was barrelling down my street to remove the drifts that were placed in the middle of the street due to yesterday's 30+ mph gale force winds that happened to sustain themselves throughout the day.  Now I am happy that Florida is basking in sunshine - hey, they are famous for it - but couldn't they share the warmth just an itty, itty bit?  We here in Minnesota have suffered through a long and cold and SNOW filled winter.....Florida has to be feeling just a little bit sorry for us by now?  I am not certain how I am going to now tie a recipe into this blog posting but since I have mentioned my mom and my aunt I will share a family recipe that you can stash until SPRING finally arrives and rhubarb starts popping up in the gardens  :)

Grandma Neva's Rhubarb Crisp Recipe
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. quick-cooking oats
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. melted butter
*Mix this together and get a crumble.  Press 1/2 of the mintures into a 9 x 13" cake pan.  Cover with 8 c. chopped rhubarb
*In a saucepan combine:
1 c. sugar
1 c. water
4 tbsp. corn starch
Stir together and cook until thick and bubbly.  Remove from heat and stir in 2 tsp. vanilla.  Pour over rhubarb.  Sprinkle the remaining crumble over the top and bake at 350 degrees for one hour!  **Extremely tasty eaten warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment