Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Buster Bar Ice Cream Dessert & Grant is about to turn 19

Well, today I post, that tomorrow my youngest child, Grant is going to be 19.  I realize this ages me (for sure), but it's the truth so I guess it's ok to put it out there.  For several years running now, whomever is having a birthday in our family gets to pick supper that night (be it mom cooking one of their favorites or us going out to eat where the birthday person chooses!).  The birthday person also gets to choose what "treat" they want prepared.  Grant for many years in a row now has chosen, Buster Bar Ice Cream Dessert, in fact it is so much his favorite that I don't even ask him anymore - I just make it!  I think if he had a runner-up choice it would be cherry pie.  I usually only make this dessert for Grant's birthday but when he landed on the honor roll at school one time (he did actually make it more than once - but not every time like his sisters.) He came home from sports practice and I had made the dessert, he immediately knew it was because his mom was so happy he had made the honor roll! So today I make the dessert so that when he comes home (be it this weekend) or the middle of next week (when he will be done with his first year of college!) his dessert will be here and be waiting.

Buster Bar Ice Cream Dessert
1# Oreo cookies, crushed
1/2 c. margarine, melted
1 3/4 c. powdered sugar
1 (12 oz.) can fat-free evaporated milk
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
8 c. low-fat vanilla ice cream  (hey I try to save a few calories where I can and where I feel the flavor or texture does not get compromised)
1 1/2 c. honey roasted peanuts

1.  Combine the crushed cookies and melted margarine and press into the bottom of a 9 x 13" pan (I use my tupperware one, because it has a lid).  Chill.

2.  In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine powdered sugar, evaporated milk, the other 1/2 c. of margarine, and the chocolate chips.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and then boil for 8 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Set aside to cool.

3.  Remove your crust from the refrigerator.  Scoop your ice cream over the top of the crust - making sure you cover all of the crust. (may not take 8 c. of ice cream - you can use your own judgement!).  So spread the ice cream to cover the whole crust.  Sprinkle the peanuts over this.  Top with the cooled chocolate sauce.  Cover and freeze overnight!

P.S.  I know my son doesn't read this blog - but Happy Birthday Grant!

No comments:

Post a Comment