Total Pageviews

Monday, February 14, 2011

Pie & Valentine's

Okay, here it is Valentine's Day already.  It is always kind of a normal day here at our house.  I certainly did not marry a romantic when I said I do.  He used to buy me flowers he has never bought me chocolates (even though I love them) I know that I don't NEED them.  But on the flip side who doesn't love a good Whitman sampler......anyways as it is now 4:35 p.m. and I can testify that a floral delivery person has NOT darkened my door today....so this may not be the best attitude to carry forth on this day for Valentines but I am trying it anyways - hoping he may feel guilty?  If that is possible?  I am making Cashew Chicken for supper - see earlier blog for that recipe.  AND I bought him a card and scratch off lottery tickets (because he likes them even if I think they are a waste of $$) AND I baked the following pie which is chilling in the refrigerator as I type this blog update!

Coconut Cream Pie

For Crust:
1 c. Crisco shortening (not butter flavor)
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. cold water
Mix together and roll into circle to fit in your pie plate (this is enough crust for 2 single crust pies or 1 double crust pie!)  Place in pie tin and crimp edges, poke with a fork (if using for single crust pie) and bake at 375 for about 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.

For Filling:
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
3 c. milk
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. sweetened coconut flakes

In a medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch.  Gradually stir in the milk.  Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly.  Keep stirring, reduce heat and cook for 2 additional minutes.  Remove from heat.  Seperate egg yolks from the whites; set whites aside for meringue.  Beat egg yolks lightly with a fork.  Gradually stir about 1 c. of the hot filling into the egg yolks.  Return all to the saucepan and cook and stir until it comes to a gentle boil.  Keep stirring and cook 2 minutes longer.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and coconut!  Pour into baked pie shell.  (If you are using meringue on your pie, beat the egg whites to form your meringue, spread over your filling and bake for 12-15 minutes @ 350 degrees.  Cool.  **I prefer mine with whipping cream so I forgo the meringue step! 

Happy Valentine's Day to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment