Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Tis the season of Rhubarb & Lilacs too!

Across my back yard I have a row of lilac bushes planted - they bloom at various times (so that I can enjoy them as long as possible!) - right now 3 of them are blooming - they win the prize of being the first.  Right in front of the row of lilac bushes sits our little garden spot and in that garden spot is a patch of rhubarb!  I love this stuff.  My eldest daughter used to eat it raw (dipped in sugar) when she was little, now our whole family love my rhubarb crisp - its absolutely the best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.  Said daughter will be in Minnesota late tonight fresh off a flight from San Diego, where she lives now (and where she saw Giada (from the FOOD NETWORK) last Sunday  :)  She texted me right away because she knew her food network junkie mom would be super impressed, and I was!  Tomorrow I am making a pan of rhubarb crisp because I can  :)

Rhubarb Crisp 
8 c. rhubarb, chopped in small pieces
1/2 c. sugar
     Wash and then chop your rhubarb.  Place the chopped rhubarb into a 9 x 13 cake pan.  Sprinkle with the 1/2 c. sugar.  Let set (while you make the topping!)
2 c. oatmeal
2 c. brown sugar
1 c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 c. melted butter
     Stir the dry ingredients together.  Stir in the melted butter.  Stir well (or use your hands to mix!).  Crumble the topping over the rhubarb in your pan.  Bake @ 375 degrees for about 35-40 minutes.  Until your dessert is golden brown and bubbly!

No comments:

Post a Comment