Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cookies!

For Christmas, my good friend gave me a magnet sign to hang on the refrigerator, the sign says "A balanced diet is NOT a cookie in each hand", she indicated that when she saw it she immediately thought of me - why I wonder - because she knows that I am a direct relative of Cookie Monster  :)  I must note that I hung this sign on my fridge right next to the magnet sign that says, "I can only please one person per day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either!"  Ha!  Well, I must say that as I am reaching into the freezer to grab a Cocoa Gingerbread cookie (left from Christmas) I do glance at my sign - but alas, it does not stop me!  In light of this information that I am certain you are happy I am sharing with you; on to today's recipe (which is actually for bars (but hey, they are the next best thing to cookies!)

Turtle Bars
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 c. butter
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk (I use the fat-free kind)
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. pecans, coarsely chopped
3/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c. toffee & chocolate baking bits (such as Heath)

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine the flour, powdered sugar, and butter, Stir or mix until a crumbly dough is formed.  Press the dough firmly into a greased 9 x 13 inch cake pan.  Bake until just golden, about 13 minutes.  Whisk together the condensed milk, egg, and vanilla.  Pour the filling over the baked crust.  Sprinkle the pecans, chocolate chips and toffee pieces evenly over the filling.  Bake until the filling is set, the edges are golden brown and the toffee is melted, (about 25 minutes).  Cool completely in the refrigerator.  (about 2 hours)  EAT - while glancing at your fridge magnets! (if you choose)  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment