Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Craziness & Rhubarb (they go hand-in-hand, right?)

Monday and Tuesday here in my neck of the woods in Minnesota we had temps in the 90's, rare for this early in June for sure, then sometime last night (without the help of a severe thunderstorm) the wind shifted from the South to the North and today it's 59 degrees.  Yesterday the central air was doing all it could to keep me & my family nice and comfortable and today that is turned off and I have a sweatshirt on, I do however, refuse to wear pants, and I have decided my favorite weather is when I can wear shorts & then a sweatshirt - I guess that truly is a Minnesota style! ha.  In the crazy weather, however, my rhubarb is doing well and my mom sent some home with me last time I saw her so today I whipped up the following freezer jam recipe (the only jam this chick prepares) and later today will whip up a famous rhubarb crisp to have with some ice cream for dessert after dinner tonight!  This recipe was given to me by Dee Daly (who used to be the daycare mom to my youngest two (who are now 19 & 20).  This is yummy and if you knew Dee like I do you would know that she loves to bake just like I do!  So without further rambling - here is the jam recipe I just whipped up:

Rhubarb Blueberry Freezer Jam
5 c. chopped rhubarb
1 c. water
Bring these to a boil in a stock pan.  Boil a few minutes.
Add:  5 c. sugar, and bring to a boil again.
Add:  1 6 oz. package of JELLO (you choose:  strawberry, raspberry, cherry)
and     1 can blueberry pie filling.  Bring to a boil again.  Let boil for 7 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Pour into jars or freezer containers.  Let set overnight and then freeze!
P.S.  Today I used Cherry Jello - as that is what happened to be in my jello/pudding drawer!

1 comment: